The main objective of the Academy is to better equip and situate national and international stakeholders in the new SDG statistical monitoring system. The Academy is designed to enhance institutional capacity to identify, collect, analyse and disseminate labour market information and other indicators related to decent work. It emphasizes the 19th ICLS resolution on statistics of work, employment and labour underutilization as an important pillar of the new SDG indicator framework, not only for targets in Goal 8 but also in other Goals related to the decent work agenda.
More specifically, the Academy aims to:
• enhance understanding of the new SDG indicator framework including the link to the international system defined by the UN for national and global monitoring;
• expand knowledge on how decent work related SDGs and targets could be monitored using existing international statistical standards;
• foster better understanding and operationalization of key international statistical standards including the 19th ICLS resolution on statistics of work, employment and labour underutilization;
• promote best practices in labour force surveys, including sample and questionnaire design;
• promote gender mainstreaming in the production of labour statistics and in the definition of the relevant SDG indicators;
• promote sound statistical data processing and analysis of indicators by demonstrating good practices in labour market information systems and SDG monitoring strategies.