The objective is to build on basic concepts of sustainable development as they apply to mining.Participants will strengthen their skills necessary to understand and evaluate the socio-economic environmental consequences of mineral production and their relationship to biotic resources and the environment. Participants will also know about some of the practical processes/methods of how to better leverage mining operations for sustainable development and avoid some of the most important pitfalls.
At the end of the course, participants will have:
- Foundational knowledge about the socio-economic environmental characterisation of mineral resources;
- a basic understanding of resource management issues;
- understanding about what is meant by sustainable development and how sustainability concepts are applied to mining;
- the ability to utilize check lists and other tools when reviewing mining plans and ongoing operations to assess sustainable mining practices of an operation, to identify areas in need of improvement, and make recommendations for change;
- an understanding of how to promote decent work and employment creation within the context mining activities.