During the one week training, the following topics will be discussed:
- FDI, employment and sustainable development: This module will identify how FDI can be more effectively harnessed to create more and better jobs, boost skills development and technology transfer, and increase business linkages with local enterprises. The discussion will focus on case studies from countries which have successfully transformed their approach to attracting FDI, as well as recent trends in both host and home countries’ expectations of investor contributions to sustainable development.
- FDI and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: participants will actively explore all 17 Sustainable Development Goals and identify linkages, opportunities and challenges related to FDI and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Additionally, best practices on investment facilitation and mainstreaming of Sustainable Development will be presented.
- Maximizing the positive impact of FDI: participants will explore the ILO Tripartite Declaration of principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy, specifically looking into framework conditions and enabling environment, crucial to ensure FDI leads to social and economic progress.
- Multi-stakeholder dialogue: An IPA’s promotional activities and after care services can be significantly enhanced through facilitating a constructive dialogue between strategic line ministries (labour, Environment, …), investors, workers, local enterprises and communities that might be affected by the investor’s operations. This session will focus on ways in which IPAs can facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogue on issues of mutual concern between different branches of government, investors and communities, to smoothen the establishment and operation of the investment and maximize the positive impact of FDI for all parties concerned.
- After care services: Investment promotion does not end with signing the MoU or investment agreement. This is where perhaps the most important phase of the process starts. The content of this training section will spell out those techniques and process-oriented standard operating procedures that can be undertaken to affirm the investor’s decision, boost your country’s reputation as a great place to do business while contributing to employment creation and sustainable development.