Impact evaluation of policies, programmes and projects
31 mai–23 juillet 2021
This course is one of five eligible courses for the Diploma on project management
for sustainable development.
To achieve the Diploma, successful candidates must complete three out of five courses within a five-year period and undertake a capstone assessment.
Présentation du cours
The purpose of an impact evaluation is to assess the relevance and effectiveness of a project, programme or public policy that aims to bring about a positive change in the well-being or conditions of a target population, and to measure improvements on the basis of predefined indicators. Impact evaluations measure change on the basis of indicators and analyse whether the change can be attributed to the development intervention. This type of impact evaluation is usually undertaken over a defined period of time following an intervention, using a variety of techniques, including approaches based on qualitative or quantitative data -- counterfactual -- that measure/compare the results achieved with what would have happened to beneficiaries if the project/programme intervention had not taken place. Before being awarded certification, participants design an impact evaluation of an intervention of their choice and put into practice what they have learned throughout the programme
The certification programme is intended for technical specialists responsible for monitoring and evaluating, as well as officials from ministries of planning, the United Nations and NGOs. The programme is also designed to meet the needs of social partners and other decision-makers involved in the design and evaluation of public policies. Members of the research community involved in the design, implementation and evaluation of development programmes are also invited to participate.
What topics does this course cover?
Identify areas of improvement and brush up on your technical and managerial skills:
- Evaluations of development cooperation impacts: the recurring dilemma of attribution versus contribution
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to impact evaluations
- Experimental and quasi-experimental impact evaluation design
- Contribution, correlation, and longitudinal studies to evaluate the impact
- Methods of data collection, processing and analysis for impact evaluations
- Managing and utilizing the impact evaluation for decision making and development of new knowledge
- Economic analysis (cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analyses).
What will I learn?
- A body of knowledge on theories of and approaches used to conduct impact evaluations of public policies, development programmes, and projects
- Methodologies and approaches to design impact evaluation using both: qualitative and quantitative data based design
- Criteria to decide which is the most appropriate impact evaluation methodology
- A process to plan, operationalize, budget, and manage an impact evaluation.
What will I be able to do?
Work with your peers and expand your international network to access new resources, hone your skills and apply them immediately:
- Identify and engage relevant stakeholders throughout the impact evaluation process using technical and soft skills
- Select the most appropriate impact evaluation methodology to respond to the unique context of the intervention and to the prevailing constraints of data, time and money, and context.
- Design a customised impact evaluation scheme for the unique context of a development intervention of your choice.
- Build an operational plan to conduct the impact evaluation
- Collect, process, and analyse data to evaluate impact using quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Use impact evaluation results for informing decision-making and economic analyses.
Why should I join?
This course is delivered through distance learning and deployed on the ITCILO e-campus. It frees you from the classroom and gives you the flexibility to complete the learning modules at your own pace and to carry-through weekly assignment within your schedule.
- Data analysis and evaluation skills are essential to professionals working in the public and development sectors.
- Employers that sponsor participants obtain the possibility to create an impact evaluation scheme for one of their development interventions.
- Successful Participants receive a professional certification attesting their capacity to effectively design and conduct impact evaluation.
- The programme was developed and is implemented by evaluation experts and practitioners, researchers and development cooperation managers.
- Participatory activities include self-guided modules, webinars, online forum, practical assignments, individualized coaching, and tutoring.
- Participants get permanent access to the e-Campus portal on impact evaluation, training material, and references.
- General concepts and considerations for evaluation
- Selecting the right approach and methodologies to design an impact evaluation
- A step-by-step approach to designing an impact evaluation
- Conceptualization of the impact evaluation scheme: purpose, scope, impact evaluation questions, and methodology
- Plan and use data collection methods and data management in the context of impact evaluations
- Analysis of quantitative and qualitative data to assess programme or project intervention causality
- Organizing the impact evaluation: contracting and managing consultants
- Reporting, dissemination, and use of impact evaluation conclusions
- Engaging stakeholders in impact evaluations